addendum to viavoice on debian

the alsa version will not become the default for another year or
so.

I'm surprized that debian's
libtool is not correctly passing the  debian specific location of
the tcl include files,
there is probably some libtool magic that can teach it do so --
perhaps JRVZ who built the debian package would know.

    Robert> I have a few additions to Tim's post concerning
    Robert> viavoice on debian.  In Debian the tcl header file is
    Robert> in a different location.  The libs are also named
    Robert> differently.  The top of the makefile for compiling
    Robert> the files in teh linux-outloud directory looks like
    Robert> this:
    Robert>
    Robert> CC=g++ INSTALL = install PREFIX = /home/rdc
    Robert> libparentdir = ${PREFIX}/share/emacs/site-lisp libdir
    Robert> =$(libparentdir)/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud
    Robert> CFLAGS= -g -O2 -fPIC -DPIC -pedantic -ansi -Wall
    Robert> -I/usr/include/tcl8.3 -I/usr/include/tclx8.3 LIBS=
    Robert> -ltclx8.3 -ltcl8.3 -ldl
    Robert>
    Robert> the additions were:
    Robert>
    Robert> -I/usr/include/tcl8.3 -I/usr/include/tclx8.3
    Robert>
    Robert> to the CFLAGS line, and changing the LIBS line to
    Robert> read:
    Robert>
    Robert> LIBS= -ltclx8.3 -ltcl8.3 -ldl
    Robert>
    Robert> thanks to Tim for help in this.
    Robert>
    Robert> The first line in the eci.ini file needs to point to
    Robert> the correct location of the so file being used for
    Robert> speech output.  In my case, for us english, the line
    Robert> reads:
    Robert>
    Robert> Path=/opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/enu50.so
    Robert>
    Robert> Make sure to read the alsa file in the linux-outloud
    Robert> directory, although this might not be necessary in
    Robert> the release version of emacspeak as, IIRC, alsa
    Robert> support will be the default.  It is not the default
    Robert> in the cvs version.
    Robert>
    Robert> I have so far run into any problems running viavoice
    Robert> under alsa.  I think the speech server might be
    Robert> restarting occasionally.  I type with character echo
    Robert> on, and sometimes as I type I hear a "v" as it
    Robert> pronounces a word.  If it were not producing this
    Robert> clue, I would not know the difference.
    Robert>
    Robert> Happy listening,
    Robert>
    Robert> rdc
    Robert>
    Robert> --