Pronunciation in LaTeX + Auctex mode

Cheers.
Kalyan
I noticed a small but curious  feature of how Emacspeak behaves while
editing LaTeX.
When I hold the Shift key down and press the apostrophe character `''
I get " and now in Mail mode I hear `quotes'. In LaTeX mode I don't
hear anything.
Presumably this is because AucTeX puts in `` or ''  according to
wether the relevant quotes are opening or closing quotes.

I am trying to help a colleague (who is deficient in LaTeXnique)
prepare a manuscript
on Mathematical Logic and need to explain how to put in unlaut as in
G\"{o}del but since my comments are being written in a LaTeX file I
don't hear anything for ". Can this behaviour be changed using C-e M-d
d and specifying a pronunciation for LaTeX mode --- my attempts have
failed, so far.