Re: pulseaudio

It does work and it works quite well once you get the .asoundrc file
sorted. This can be a bit tricky. For example, I found that the reason I
couldn't get my soundcard to work was because it was a multi channel card
and you had to use a specific device (in my case device 3) in order for the
dmix plugin to work. Prior to working this out, I defined an 'emacspeak'
device in my asoundrc file and then modified the sources to use that as the
device rather than default. This had been the only way I could get outloud
to work and still be able to play other sound sources.

What type of sound card do you have? Maybe someone else has a working
.asoundrc file for that type of card?

Tim

getting mixing to work that th epro
T. V. Raman writes:
 > Alsa dmix works --- believe in it.

 >     bart> Yes, but what pulseaudio does is mix sound streams.  So
 >     bart> theoretically I could have two applications speaking at
 >     bart> the same time.  Although alsa's dmix is meant to do
 >     bart> this as well.  In practice it has never worked for me,
 >     bart> it does with some applications and not others even
 >     bart> though they are all using alsa.  Regards
 >     bart>
 >     bart> Bart
 >     bart>
 >     bart> Janina Sajka writes:
 >     >> Unless I misunderstand it, it's not an either or
 >     >> situation. I don't believe pulseaudio provides drivers for
 >     >> audio hardware. Rather, it's for managing user and
 >     >> application access.
 >     >>
 >     >> The one use case on their site is about two people, a
 >     >> couple, logging in and out of the desktop without issues
 >     >> of audio access. Woefully insufficient, of course. We'''
 >     >> have to expand their thinking, I suspect.
 >     >>
 >     >> Janina
 >     >>
 >     >> bart@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:> Hi list,
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Does anyone know what would be involved in getting the
 >     >> outloud speech server to use pulseaudio instead of alsa
 >     >> directly?
 >     >> >
 >     >> > If this was done am I correct in assuming that emacspeak
 >     >> would be able to run along side orca if they are both
 >     >> using pulseaudio?
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Has anyone already thought about this?
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Regards
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Bart
 >     >> >
 >     >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 >     >> > To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     >> address on the > emacspeak list send mail to
 >     >> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a > subject of
 >     >> "unsubscribe" or "help"
 >     >>
 >     >> --
 >     >>
 >     >> Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxx
 >     >> Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC
 >     >> http://CapitalAccessibility.Com
 >     >>
 >     >> Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in
 >     >> the U.S. and Canada Learn more at
 >     >> http://ScreenlessPhone.Com
 >     >>
 >     >> Chair, Open Accessibility janina@xxxxxxxxxxx Linux Foundation
 >     >> http://a11y.org
 >     bart>
 >     bart> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     bart> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     bart> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
> [...]

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.