Re: start emacspeak silently

Pawel K <pawlaczus@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Invoking dtk-toggle-quiet explicitly does not make
> emacspeak to be silent.

On my set-up, this command does quiet everything
_in_the_buffer_in_which_it_is_set.

Perhaps the right questions are not being asked.

Emacspeak assumes that the user wants to use it when it is loaded, I
think.  It seems that you do not want emacspeak to be used unless you
specifically ask for it to be used in a particular buffer, much like a
mode.  For example, if I want to use php-mode in files that do not
necessarily end in .php I have to invoke M-x php-mode in that buffer.
What you want is to _not_ have emacspeak running unless you invoke it in
a buffer.  Is this correct?

If you want emacspeak to be quiet _globally_, what you want to do is to
invoke the command dtk-toggle-quiet with a prefix command like so

C-u M-x dtk-toggle-quiet

Then, in buffers you want to hear, invoke the command _without_ the
prefix argument.

The command can also be invoked with C-e d q.

> It speaks "indent <cursor position>".
> I think it is because my configuration:
> (global-set-key "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)
> It looks like a kind of bug.

I don't follow you here.

> The same is with another settings in my ~/.emacs file
> like:
> (setq emacspeak-line-echo nil)
> (setq emacspeak-word-echo nil)

Read the documentation for the above variables to understand what they
do.  I am not sure they do what you think they do.  Perhaps you should
turn them on and off in a scratch buffer and see what happens after
typing words and lines.

> They cover only the first buffer after emacs starts.

That should not be the case.  Check out what I said above and then let
us know if this is the case.

> I think when user specifies this in his configuration
> file he does not expect it to work for the first
> buffer only after launching emacs but permanently for
> all buffers. It is until he turns it on with explicit
> command.

This is how it works, I think you don't understand what its purpose is.

>>From my point of view none of those settings described
> in this thread work correctly.

Perhaps you should look at it from another point of view, like
Dr. Ramen, the gent who wrote the program.

> PS: sorry for beeing so grumpy.

It happens.

> I like emacs a lot and hope will like emacspeak as well. It seems to
> be a bit too talkative to me that's why I want to customize it.

Like I said above, let's figure out what you are looking for and perhaps
we can get you moving in the right direction.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

"A power so great, it can only be used for Good or Evil!"
		-- Firesign Theatre, "The Giant Rat of Summatra"