emacspeak, org-mode and transient mark mode

Hi,

This may be not an emacspeak question exactly but I felt I'd be better starting out here than the org-mode list.

I am running emacs under gnome and all my meta keys work fine in org-mode.  e.g. meta left/right shift meta right etc to move headings around.

What I'm struggling with is using commands that require transient mark mode or momentary marks to function.

This all started out from a thread on the org-mode list entitled "structure editing in brain storming mode".  This details the commands I am attempting to use.

An example of this is that if you have several level 1 headings and you want to demote the entire lot to level two you should be able to mark the region and use meta right to do this.

This is simply not working for me no matter if I turn transient mark mode on or off or if i use c-space c-space to enable a momentary mark.

Is there any conflict between emacspeak and transient mark mode?
I have some vague memory of there being an issue in the past of some sort but can't recall what it was?

I'm running emacspeak 29 and emacs version "GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.3)
 of 2008-10-14 on rothera, modified by Debian"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Bart