Re:Emacspeak does not work in user account

If the speech server will work under root and not under a non-privileged user,
the problem is almost always due to missing permissions, which under most
linux distros, is controlled by  group membership.

A common roup you need to have access to is 'audio'. don't forget that after
adding a user to that group, they need to log out and back in to pick up that
group membership.

If unsure, check the ownership and permissions on the sound devices. That will
generally give you an idea of what group you need to be a member of.

Tim

David Ring writes:
 > Thanks to this list - I got emacspeak speaking nicely!
 >
 > However, it will only speak in my root account.
 >
 > Does my user account have to be in certain groups to access the voice
 > - I get the dreaded "process server" not running but only from the
 > user account.
 >
 > I have not tried to make a new user account, but I might try that.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > david

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.