espeak, pulseAudio and ALSA. Success!

Hi Tim,

first off, thanks for an excellent write-off -- this from someone
who counts himself among those who have "fixed pulseaudio by
disabling it":-)

I agree that eventually Pulseaudio will get us to a better place
than where alsa leaves us today -- just as alsa took us to a
better place from OSS.

While waiting for the bits to settle, here are a few tips that
are worthwhile with or without pulseaudio.

1. Controlling volume of music while not reducing TTS  volume

Both mplayer and alsaplayer let you do this -- see the relevant
emacspeak commands. They're bound to 'v' in those modes.

2. Ability to select which soundcard to send output to will be
nice --- alsa is supposed to let you do this, but it's not easy
-- at least the env vars fail. You can tell mplayer to send
output to a different card fairly easily --- having viavoice or
espeak speak on a second alternative card is harder.