Re: Progress with AsteR installation

The point regarding the use of the + and - compiler directives accepted and
understood. As you say, in general, they should be avoided, but there are
times they are a good solution. Of course, the difficult is in knowing when to
use them and when not to.

In the case of the SSIP CL module, it has already been
implemented using these directives for the CL implementations it supports.
Adding support for another implementation that adopts a totally different
interface approach would represent a considerable amount of modification and
is unlikely to be accepted into the main repository.
In this particular case, the compiler directives are very simple and don't add
much in the way of complications for maintenance. From memory, we are talking about
les than 10 lines of CL code. The directives are also used in their most basic
straight-forward manner.

In this case, if the SSIP CL library is to be used and with a CL
implementation it doesn't currently support, extending it using the compiler
directives would be the simplest and most straight-forward approach.

The alternative is to not use the SSIP library and implement an SD module from
scratch in a scripting language which could be interfaced to by forking a
process, though I'm not sure that all CL implementations use the same
interface for sub-processes, so compiler directives may still be required if
you want to support multiple CL implementations.

>From memory, the speech-dispatcher/openTTS protocol also supports
bi-directional data flow i.e. ability for the TTS interface to return
information back to the client. This can sometimes be more difficult to
achieve via sub-process communications than it is using 'native' networking
code.

The other point to consider is whether CL implementation portability is really
that critical. I frequently see lots of effort being put into trying to make a
program portable across multiple CL implementations. More often than not, one
implementation still becomes more favored over others and the majority of
users use that implementation. I suspect that sometimes, it is better to just
state that you support a particular implementation and put all your resources
into extending the programs functionality under that implementation instead of
splitting your resources trying to maintain broader implementation
compatibility at the cost of improved functionality. Given that many of the CL
implementations now support compilation to native executable code,
cross-implementation portability is less important as you can always
distribute the application as a stand alone executable. Of course,
cross-platform compatibility is more relevant if your developing a library

Tim
> In general, avoid writing lisp code using +compiler and -compiler
> directives -- it leads to untold grief. It's as bad as writing
> #ifdef in C by hand without the aid of gnu autoconf and
> configure.
>
> For unix level bits such as networking, escape from lisp as
> quickly as you can, i.e. fork a sub-process that does th
> ework. That separate process can be coded in something like
> python or tcl, and those languages take care of the
> cross-platform complexities.
> --
> Best Regards,
> --raman
>

> Email			:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx :$B")(B
> WWW			:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ : $(ÿ&A(B
>        GTalk		: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx : $(C"N(B
> PGP			:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc : $(ÿ#((B
> Google			: tv+raman  :  ?
> IRC			:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs : $(ÿ&"(B
> BRL:	$(ÿ( ((2(( ('(2(( (((
(((B	: $(ÿ& (B

> --
> Best Regards,
> --raman
>

> Email			:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx :$B")(B
> WWW			:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ : $(ÿ&A(B
>        GTalk		: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx : $(C"N(B
> PGP			:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc : $(ÿ#((B
> Google			: tv+raman  :  ?
> IRC			:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs : $(ÿ&"(B