Re: error using 32-outloud

Hello Tim,

"Tim Cross" <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This is only a very wild guess.

Sometimes those are the best.

> It would be reasonable to assume the 32 bit linked tcl shell has either a
> different name or different path than the standard 64 bit linked tclsh. It
> looks like emacspeak is expecting this to be /usr/bin/tclsh8.4_ia32, but failed
> to find it.
>
> What do you get if you do
>
> ls /usr/bin | grep tcl

Listed is the output along with the output of file on each:

tclsh - symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/tclsh'
tclsh8.4 - ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped
tclsh-default - symbolic link to `tclsh8.4'

> It is possible that the naming convention which has been used to prevent
> confusion between the 32 and 64 bit versions of tclsh has changed and the one
> the script is looking for does not exist.

I re-ran the getlibs script with verbosity and then tried to locate
tclsh.  here is the result:

rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$ sudo getlibs --verbose -p tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tclx8.4 tclx8.4-dev
[sudo] password for rdc:
The following i386 packages will be installed: tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tclx8.4 tclx8.4-dev
Continue [Y/n]? y
queue: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/tcl8.4/tcl8.4_8.4.19-4_amd64.deb
mirror: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
queue: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/tcl8.4/tcl8.4-dev_8.4.19-4_amd64.deb
mirror: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
queue: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/t/tclx8.4/tclx8.4_8.4.0-3_amd64.deb
mirror: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
queue: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/t/tclx8.4/tclx8.4-dev_8.4.0-3_amd64.deb
mirror: http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
Downloading ...
Downloading http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/tcl8.4/tcl8.4_8.4.19-4_i386.deb
Downloading http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/tcl8.4/tcl8.4-dev_8.4.19-4_i386.deb
Downloading http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/t/tclx8.4/tclx8.4_8.4.0-3_i386.deb
Downloading http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/t/tclx8.4/tclx8.4-dev_8.4.0-3_i386.deb
extracting: /tmp/getlibs.LbUq41pqS1/tcl8.4_8.4.19-4_i386.deb
extracting: /tmp/getlibs.LbUq41pqS1/tcl8.4-dev_8.4.19-4_i386.deb
extracting: /tmp/getlibs.LbUq41pqS1/tclx8.4_8.4.0-3_i386.deb
extracting: /tmp/getlibssudo.LbUq41pqS1/tclx8.4-dev_8.4.0-3_i386.deb
Installing libraries ...
rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for rdc:
rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$ locate tclsh
/etc/alternatives/tclsh
/etc/alternatives/tclsh.1
/usr/bin/tclsh
/usr/bin/tclsh-default
/usr/bin/tclsh8.4
/usr/share/man/man1/tclsh-default.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tclsh.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tclsh8.4.1.gz
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/tclsh
rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$

> Alternatively, maybe the 32 bit executables have been put into a ia32 specific
> bin directory and either you need to change the path for the interpreter in the
> script or create a symbolic link from the executable to the name the script is
> looking for in /usr/bin

Unfortunately, it seems there is no ia32 bin directory.

> Maybe the getlibs command has changed and the schema used to manage 32 bit libs
> and executables is slightly different. I would look for some getlib
> documentation and see what it says.

Searching for that now.  --help says there is supposed to be a man page
but I can't find it yet.  I looked at the source of the program and,
without vastly more knowledge of what dpkg can do.

> Finally, there should be a log of what getlib did in /var/log. Have a look and
> see if that gives you any clues.

No joy here either.  doing a grep on all files in /var/log returns only
the auth log where I used it with sudo and dpkg log where I installed
it.

Perhaps I'll send a message to the developer and see what he has to
say.  From the output it seems installation went off without a hitch but
maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
rdc

--