Re: Comparing the responsiveness of espeak and Outloud

Hi Alastair,

its interesting that you find espeak more responsive than outloud. I
have found almost exactly the opposite. While I don't notice any real
difference in stopping - at elast nothing I've ever noticed, I do
notice a bit difference in responsiveness with respect to typing and
movement.

With outloud, I have both character and word echo enabled. Outloud has
no problems keeping up with my typing, with is somewhat inaccurate,
but quite fast. Espeak on the other hand is unable to keep up. In
fact, it is so slow, I have to turn off character echo and only use
word echo. Even then, I find it can stil get a little behind.

I do use espeak compiled against pulseaudio rather than portaudio
becuase I found it had lots of problems when using portaudio -
chopping off utterances, repeating bits of utterances etc. Once I
recompiled against pulsaudio, it worked well, but was not as
responsive as I would like. I have 'trimmed' down the espeak code a
bit and have been experimenting to try and see if I can find a better
setup. For example, espeak uses SSML markup to change voices and
espeak provides separate functions for speaking a key, a wide (UTF-8)
character and speaking text. I'm trying to determine whether using
speakCharacter or speakKey or speakText is best or if plain text is
better than SSML marked up text or if some other embeded coding and
use of setPitch and setPitchRange would work better etc. I'm also
experimenting with using Java/Clojure as the implementaiton langauge
and using other synthesizes, such as the Mary TTS. If I get time, I
also plan to do an interface to speech-dispatcher.

Not a lot of this is much help to you and you probably won't get a lot
of help because there are few who have the level of familiarity with
the various servers than you would think. While Raman knows the
outloud and dtk-exp servers well, I think others did the owrk for
esepak, mac etc. In the end, unfortunately, to answer your questions,
you are probably going to have to do the research and climb the step
knolwedge path yourself. We need more people to contribute in this
area, so any information you can dig up or the resoults of any testing
you do are always welcome.

Tim