RE: emacspeakwin installer - byte compiling

+1 to make it backwards compatible.  Always a good practice as long as you don't take it too far.  If you foresee hourse and hours and hours, then you may need to refrain but, if the effort isn't too great, I say do it.  It may pay dividends in future you don't even realize today.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: Jarek Czekalski [mailto:jarekczek@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 1:35 AM
To: emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: emacspeakwin installer - byte compiling

Thinking more about the thing with cl-proclaim. This message is something that was coming and going during my attempts. Alastair helped me to understand it.

 > 1. I first tried to install it with my current version of Emacs,  > 24.2, but it didn't work.  It complained that cl-proclaim wasn't  > defined, I suspect that this is because of the change from cl to  > cl-lib in version 24.3 so bytecode compiled with 24.3 using these  > functions won't be backwards compatible.  Once I upgraded to Emacs  > 24.3 this problem was solved.

So it seems that byte-compiling during the installation would increase portability. I don't want to force a very specific Emacs version. Installer has access to Emacs. It could run compiling commands.

Do you think it's worth doing?

Jarek