Re: Emacspeak doesn't read echo area?

Jarek Czekalski wrote:

JC> Anyone able to hear the message "undefined" after pressing unbound
JC> key?

Here is more elaborate variant of my previous solution which speaks the
actual message from echo area (with key sequence). But note that besides
undefined keys there are keys bound to the command `undefined'. This
command is used to undefine global keys locally but does not display any
message in echo area.

(defun my-speak-echo-area ()
  (let ((msg (current-message)))
    (if (> (length msg) 0)
	(dtk-speak msg))))

(setq ring-bell-function
      (lambda ()
	(dtk-stop)
	(emacspeak-auditory-icon 'warn-user)
	(if (eq this-command nil)
	    (run-with-idle-timer 0 nil 'my-speak-echo-area))))

Also one can use command-error-function for speaking error messages.
This probably is better for speaking read-only messages - handles more
of them. Although it does not handle undefined keys.

--
With best regards
Dmitri Paduchikh