emacspeak chokes on large amounts of bash output

Hi: I use emacs/emacspeak shell mode for just about all my
interactions with bash on linux. Every now and then I make a mistake
which results in the output being flooded with data (accidentally
selecting 10000 lines from a db, that sort of thing).  This chokes
emacspeak and the tts, making the system unusable. The only way I've
found to recover from this is to ssh in from another box and kill the
offending process.  tts-restart and emacspeak-toggle-comint-autospeak
don't help - they just pick up from where they left off. ^c seems to
be being ignored while the output is being spewed.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks.

--
Les Smithson