A few questions on how Emacspeak handles text and long lines

    Victor> Hi. I could not find any Emacspeak settings that
    Victor> could answer my questions below, so any help would be
    Victor> much appreciated.
    Victor>
    Victor> 1. I noticed that when Emacspeak encounters lines of
    Victor> certain length, it takes two or more presses of a
    Victor> down arrow to go through them, creating an impression
    Victor> of navigating through duplicate lines. Is there a way
    Victor> to change this setting? Also, why this behavior? Is
    Victor> there a historical reason for this?

The above is due to visual-line-mode which  got introduced  in
Emacs about 5 years ago. If visual-line-mode is turned on, long
lines are visually wrapped -- you should turn of visual-line-mode
since it provides little to no value when you cannot see the
screen.

    Victor> 2. When Emacspeak encounters characters, such as (,
    Victor> ), <, >, etc, it makes my TTS pronounce them as "left
    Victor> asterisk parent", "right asterisk parent", "greater
    Victor> asterisk than", etc. Again, is this intentional? If
Which engine? If Mac, Ask Bart or David.

    Victor> yes, then why?
    Victor>
    Victor> 3. When Emacspeak encounters a character repeated
    Victor> several times, say, 15 hyphens, it appends the "15
    Victor> dashes" with the word "awww", so the phrase sounds
    Victor> like "awww 15 dash". Why is this behavior? Is there a
    Victor> setting I am missing without having to go into the

That's something I originally  implemented based on IBM
Screenreader which is what I used before I impleemnted
Emacspeak.  The "aw" is just a nonsense phrase  that makes it
slightly easier to parse the utterance.