different test results

After putting DTK_PROGRAM=espeak in /etc/profile then running . profile which sourced the file and going to the servers directory and running tclsh espeak I heard using SOX then I heard espeak spoken. The next time I did all of this, I heard only using SOX and the q "this is a test." return d return produced no speech. The next thing I'm going to try is to reboot the machine then repeat the full espeak test to see if any results improve.