Re: Progress on soundblaster driver and comparison on dectalk versus doubletalk

Greg,

One report I got from someone here, unfortunately I forget who, was that
doubletalk is supposed to go up to 400 wpm.  I wonder if the technician
had it set correctly when he played it for you or if there was something
wrong?

The other thing is, you said that you were wondering about a win 95
driver for software dectalk.  I am wondering what you are referring to
by this.  From what I have read on the internet it seems there are a few
different software only synthesizers that were written by DEC:
1. The emacspeak web sites refer to something called software dectalk
which runs only on a DEC alpha workstation.  Is this what you are
referring to?
2.  DEC has written software drivers for software only speech synthesis
to run under Win 95.  DEC calls this software Access 32.  I think that
this is sold only bundeled with other packages like win 95 screen
readers.  However, they do have a demo package which lets you type in
text or open a text file and have access 32 read it.  This is on their
web site.
3. Text Assist I believe was also written by DEC.  This runs under win
95 and can be accessed as a speech synthesizer by screen reading
programs.  Text assist is also software only, but I believe it requires
a true sound blaster sound card as the sound device.  I have been trying
to get text assist but have not been able to so far.  I read that
creative labs used to package it with the sound blaster cards, but they
did not package it when I bought my sound blaster, and I don't think
that anyone is retailing it right now.

You referred to the question of writing a win 95 driver for dectalk.
Could you have meant writing a win 95 version of emacspeak?  Is there
already a port of emacspeak to win 95?  To me it seems like that is what
we need since we already have text assist and access 32 software only
speech synthesizers for win 95.

ag3p@xxxxxxxxxxx

>From priestdo@xxxxxxxxxxx Sun Jan  4 02:50:42 1998
>Date: Sun, 4 Jan 98 05:39:06 EST
>From: "Greg E. Priest-Dorman" <priestdo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Progress on soundblaster driver and comparison on dectalk
>    versus doubletalk
>

>Dave says:
>
>...  I'm running an LT at an estimated rate of 450 words per
>minute...
>
>What are you doing to get that rate?  When I spoke with the doubletalk
>technician a few weeks back, he played it at "top speed" and it was
>slower than a dectalk set at 350 wpm.  Since I use my dectalk in the
>420 - 480, I would be very interested if the doubeltalk can be
>modified to get 450 words per minute.
>
>Has anyone used the PC software dectalk?  Any idea how it measures up?
If