Re: 1. Doubletalk install 2. missing X file 3. DOS

Alan -

All the emacspeak files, including the emacspeak-dt package, are
available at the blinux ftp site, ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux/.  There is
also a new emacspeak-dt-tcl package (implemented in TCL rather than
C), which I think works better.

If you have installed a package called emacs-19.34-no-x11, it should
have installed either a binary named "emacs" which does not use X
windows, or a symbolic link named "emacs" which points to such a
binary.  You can check what "emacs" is, using the "which" command.
Here is what it says here:

vanzandt:~$ which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs
vanzandt:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/emacs
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     root      1810004 Mar 16  1997 /usr/bin/emacs

As you can see, "emacs" is a binary file.  On the other hand, "awk" is
a symbolic link which eventually points to a program named "mawk":

vanzandt:~$ which awk
/usr/bin/awk
vanzandt:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/awk
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root      21 May 10  1997 /usr/bin/awk -> /etc/alternatives/awk
vanzandt:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/awk
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root      13 May 10  1997 /etc/alternatives/awk -> /usr/bin/mawk
vanzandt:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/mawk
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  root   98996 Mar  7  1997 /usr/bin/mawk

If you need to create a symbolic link yourself, you can do something
like this:

       ln -s emacs-19.34-no-x11 /usr/bin/emacs

In the Emacspeak-HOWTO, I suggest that you can learn emacs by running
it under DOS.  However, I expect you to use a DOS screen reader.  I do
not think Emacspeak has been run under DOS.

I hope this helps.

                              - Jim Van Zandt