Re: Silencing DecTalk -- More Info

   Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 11:19:04 -0400
   From: Bryan Smart <bsmart@xxxxxxxxxxx>

   I recently posted a message that described a situation while using
   Emacspeak that the DecTalk would stop talking.  I've been able to
   consistantly reproduce this problem.

   A line ending with octal 4255 causes the DecTalk to die.  This character on
   a line by itself doesn't cause any difficulties, but when present at the
   end of a line of text causes the DecTalk to be forced into a state where
   only a cold reset is able to restore speech.  I can even reboot into my DOS
   or Windows screen reader and find the DecTalk responseless until I cycle
   the power.

I missed the original message, but I have seen the same problem occur. I'm wondering, though, if the problem is hardware related, or if it is being caused by Emacspeak.