RE: Problems with emacspeak v 9.0

There appears to be a lot of confusion flying around--
here is an attempt at clearing the air.

1) The message about the patch to dtk-exp is not relevant to
your setup because your dectalk is talking
--and that patch was for telling it the right port.

2) As someone else already pointed out, you have the right
   firmware.

This said, it's unclear what exactly is "not working" at
your end.

I'll splice in my comments below--

    McCleary,> Hi listers, I have installed emacspeak
    McCleary,> version 9.0 on my solaris system.  When I
    McCleary,> started the tcl with dtk-exp loaded I got the
    McCleary,> startup message just fine.  However, when I
    McCleary,> executed the command q { this is a test}; d
    McCleary,> I heard most of the text spoken but then I
    McCleary,> got the error message "Error in string

a statement like "most of the message"
is not helpful in debugging things.

Do:
q{this is test 1}
q {this is test 2}
and see what happens.

I suspect that what is happening is weird stty behavior on
    solaris at your site--
I posted a message about this to the emacspeak list
after releasing 9.0-- it's appended at the end of this message.

    please *read* the whole thing--
    Now you are  getting me really really confused.
which environment are you talking about here?
    McCleary,> Also I noticed that I heard space when I
    McCleary,> cursored over an apostraphy sign and then I
    McCleary,> heard apostrophy spoken.  I have changed
    McCleary,> machines at home, and I would appreciate the
    McCleary,> URL for downloading the firmware for the
    McCleary,> dectalk, if that's the thing to do.

    McCleary,> After I got the error message, things hung
    McCleary,> up.  The version of TCL here is 7.5, is that
    McCleary,> about right?
If tcl looks like it hung, check your dectalk cable, you may
    just have a bad  cable at work--
what happens in those cases is that the workstation talks to
    the Dectalk, but the Dectalk fails to talk back to the
    workstation-- resulting in the tcl process hanging
    (well, it's waiting for the Dectalk to send an index reply)

    McCleary,> When I run the old dtk-exp script in the tcl
    McCleary,> that came with emacspeak ver 7, All is well.

The above statement really makes me suspect stty. Are you
    saying that Emacspeak 9.0 works when you use the dtk-exp
    from 7.0
--"it works" is not very illuminating.
    McCleary,> BTW, the characters are not echoed to the
    McCleary,> screen when I load the dtk-exp script and the
    McCleary,> prompts are indented about a tab stop width
    McCleary,> to the right.  The characters are echoed
    McCleary,> correctly in the tcl session with the dtk-exp
    McCleary,> from ver 7, why is this?
something weird with your terminal.

    McCleary,> Thanks.

    McCleary,> Mo McCleary GE Harris Railway Electronics,
    McCleary,> LLC PO Box 8900, Melbourne, FL 32902-8900 407
    McCleary,> 242-4025, Fax 407 242-4169
    McCleary,> mmcclear@xxxxxxxxxxx-harris.com

    McCleary,> 	-----Original Message----- From: T. V. Raman
    McCleary,> [SMTP:raman@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday,
    McCleary,> December 15, 1998 7:59 AM To: McCleary,
    McCleary,> Maureen Cc: 'emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx'
    McCleary,> Subject: Problems with emacspeak

    McCleary,> 	Use FSF Emacs 20.3 and Emacspeak 9.0 before
    McCleary,> we spend time debugging this.

    McCleary,> 	-- Best Regards, --raman

    McCleary,> 	      Adobe Systems Tel: 1 408 536 3945
    McCleary,> (W14-128) Advanced Technology Group Fax: 1
    McCleary,> 408 537 4042 W14-128 345 Park Avenue Email:
    McCleary,> raman@xxxxxxxxxxx San Jose , CA 95110 -2704
    McCleary,> Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
    McCleary,> http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/ (Adobe
    McCleary,> Intranet)
    McCleary,> http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html
    McCleary,> (Cornell)

    McCleary,> Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own
    McCleary,> and in no way should be taken as
    McCleary,> representative of my employer, Adobe Systems
    McCleary,> Inc.

    McCleary,> - To unsubscribe or change your address send
    McCleary,> mail to "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx"
    McCleary,> with a subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"