Emacspeak and XEmacs?

Hello. I seem to remember reading quite a while back that Emacspeak
would (Or, should?) run under XEmacs.

Since I have some vision (Some color and image perception) I wanted to
try getting XEmacs up, hoping that it would enable W3 to fetch
backgrounds and images. However, I would like the images to download
and display for other reasons; some pages use fonts and images for
mathematical symbols, and if I need someone's assistance, it is much
easier to point to a screen with symbols on it, instead of a screen
with, say, [img-0001] where the symbol should be. :) But, I'll get
back to the point.

I'm using the Debian emacspeak package, which appears to just store
the elisp files without compiling them. Thus, I assumed that all I
would need to do to run Emacspeak under XEmacs would be to change the
startup script to call xemacs instead of emacs. I thus copied
/usr/bin/emacspeak into ~/bin/xemacspeak, made the modification, and
tried to run it.

Needless to say it didn't work. (If it did, I wouldn't be writing the
list. :) Shortly into the load process, xemacs beeps and no speech is
heard. So, I used -batch to get a rough idea of what is happening, and
turned up this rather vague error message:
Invalid read syntax: "#"
XEmacs exiting.
Exit 255

So, I have two questions. First, is there any possible way that I can
provide additional information? This is with Emacspeak 9.0 and xemacs
20.4. I wish I could understand the error message, but it seems fairly
windows-ish in the amount of detail which it provides. :)

Furthermore, are there any Emacs/XEmacs lisp incompatibilities which
may be causing this? Since none of the files are byte-compiled, that
shouldn't be an issue... But, it is quite possible that I'm missing
something. :)

                                           Nolan Darilek
                                      nolan_d@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                        nolan_d@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                           ICQ: 15709478
                            http://resnet-21-203.dorm.utexas.edu/~nolan

     High Priest:	Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:
     Bro. Maynard:	And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high
        	saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it
       	smash our enemies to tiny bits."  And the Lord did grin, and the
       	people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and
                       	breakfast cereals, and lima bean-
                       High Priest:	Skip a bit, brother.
     Bro. Maynard:	And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take
     	out the holy pin.  Then shalt thou count to three.  No more, no less.
      	*Three* shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the
      	counting shall be three.  *Four* shalt thou not count, and neither
     	count thou two, excepting that thou then goest on to three.  Five is
     	RIGHT OUT.  Once the number three, being the third number be reached,
      	then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade towards thy foe, who, being
                  	naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.  Amen.
                                   All:	Amen.
                   		-- Monty Python, "The Holy Hand Grenade"