pdf2txt with vm

Hello--
I want to use vm to get a pdf file converted to txt and html via
pdf2txt@xxxxxxxxxxx
and
pdf2html@xxxxxxxxxxx
Up to now I've been  attatching messages to exchange mail on windows 95 to do this, but I'd like to do the same on linux.
I've tried vm-mime-attach-file with a couple of options for file type and character encoding but I get empty messages back or no response at all.
Thanks for any help or FMs to R.
John