Chicken and Egg Problem Learning Emacs

You're going about this in the wrong order.
Get emacs and emacspeak running, then learn Emacs as you
need it using the wealth of online documentation-- which
will all be fluently spoken to you by Emacspeak.

Simply staying in the dos world and stretching out one
finger into linux land is like sitting in an armchair
and staring at a white cane hoping that it will make you
mobile-- it wont --until you lift up that cane and swing it.

    Max> Given that Emacspeak works so well and that my own
    Max> philosophy is much closer to the Unix fthan to the
    Max> W95 approach to computing, I've really tried to
    Max> learn Emacs and/or JOVE.

    Max> Using a DOS comm program, namely Commo, I'm not
    Max> finding this an easy task.  The screen reader
    Max> doesn't seem aware of the Emacs cursor; this even
    Max> makes the tutorial tricky to work with.

    Max> Can anyone suggest an available primer on Emacs?
    Max> Are there any command-line options that might make
    Max> learning easier?

    Max> Many thanks, and apologies for bring up such an
    Max> elementary question on this list.

    Max> --Mail to: maxswn@xxxxxxxxxxx Maxwell@xxxxxxxxxxx
    Max> KA0IZH.  "Education is the sleeping pill that will
    Max> make your dreams come true." --Peggy Hill.

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 408 536 3945   (W14-128)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 408 537 4042
      W14-128 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/    (Cornell)