Forms Mode

I decided to try out the forms mode with the example messages.el file
provided in the emacspeak distribution. However, I get the error

Forms control file error: `forms-file' has not been set

When I look at the messages.el file, the following piece of code makes
me think that when I load this file it should prompt me for the name
of the file to use and the forms-file

(setq forms-file
      (read-file-name  "Messages file: "
                       "/var/log/"
                       "/var/log/messages"))

and in fact, if I replace this with

(setq forms-file "/var/log/messages")

Everything works fine. So, what is going wrong here? Why isn't the
read-file-name function working? Am I missing something vital?

Feeling a bit thick (its been a long week and its still only
wednesday!)