Re: Document authoring systems in Emacspeak

Hi all,

If you want WYSIWYG go to Windows and be done!  There is nothing like
the control you have with Emacs or LaTeX.  You have control over what
you write, you don't have to pray to God you've got it right, that
line you centered or that phrase you put in bold.  Read about Emacs'
format mode, that's pretty close to WYSIWYG if that's what you want.
I tried it, and although I love the icons in format mode, I found it a
bit too much like MSWord for me.  I want simple.  So I stick to text
mode.  However, I know that if and when the time comes, I can get the
commands for LaTeX and put out documents that any professor,
businessman, or employer of any type will be proud to see!  It's all
in what you want, I guess.  If you want someone else to make your
choices for you, tell you what to do and when,and if you want to have
to pray a lot, then stick with WYSIWYG.  Me, I'd rather put in the
codes and be confident that what I put in *is* exactly what I wanted
and where I want it, no doubts any more, no prayers, no thinking, "Oh,
God, did I center that line?  Did I put that heading in bold?  Did I
put two spaces before the C in that outline?"  Never again, never,
will I willingly go into a WYSIWYG word processor unless I need to do
something really that can't be done with Emacs, but I can't evagine
what that would be, except printing envelopes, I haven't figured that
out yet.  Thanks to Emacspeak, I have a whole new appreciation for
formatting and for form and the way something is indented or not.
Uh-uh, never again, never, this is too wonderful to relinquish!  and
the sound icons and the voicified stuff...

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons:  email:  akp@xxxxxxxxxxx
ALTERNATE EMAIL  AKPARSONS@xxxxxxxxxxx     MICQ Number:  33006854