incremental searching

Just one point. I don't know whether it'll help or not. If you're
using Mandrake, at least it was true of 7.0. Delete the default .emacs
script that it'll put in every users home directory. If you keep it,
weird things tend to happen.. Create a dummy .emacs if you have to but
make sure to delete Mandrakes one from your home directory. It'll
help.
Even if this doesn't help you, someone else might get something out of
it. I've found it causes that problem someone else asked about a while
back about non speaking arrows.