Re: Sychronising with the speech server.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, T. V. Raman wrote:

> The robust solution for what you want to do is to:
> 0 simplistic solution outside emacspeak  --use the
> cmdlinespeakfile sample.
>  Sophisticated solution using emacspeak
> 1) Add commands to the outloud speech server to
> a) set up output to a file
> b) switch between the various available outputs
> c) add code to emacspeak to access these server functions
>
> The advantage of doing this is that you will get emacspeak's
> parsing and dictionary functionalities --down the pipe you
> could add code to emacspeak to
> have it send out sync marks to the audio stream that could
> be used later to browse the mp3 stream.

OK, thanks for the suggestions; in the short term I think I will
go for the simplistic approach - will maybe get around to looking
more carefully at hacking the speech server later.  Mind you, it
is not completely clear to me that the proposal here will cover
it: even if the speech server writes directly to file, there
would still seem to be a need for synchronisation with emacspeak
... but I guess your idea is that this write-to-file
functionality could be blocking (?) or at least would not be
aborted by subsequent speech directed to a different stream?

Cheers,

- B.