punctuation modes

Hi all,

This problem has been called to the attention of the powers that be
before now, and it has been poo-pooed.  I know one person, e.g. who
has asked his guru to switch him back to emacspeak 12 because he can
not deal with the constant changes in punctuation.  Emacspeak 12 does
not behave like 13 does in this matter.

Me, I just live with it, figure that somebody someplace who has more
pull than the rest of us will convince the powers that be that there
is a problem here.  I find myself changing punctuation between email
messages in VM if I go from the summary to the message, or even if I
try to read a message by pressing the space bar.  I find that, as
Yvonne says, one is forced to change punctuation states after using
the shell and when going from w3 buffers back to a document in which
one has been working all day to reset the punctuation to none for the
umteenth time.  If I turn punctuation to none to read the New York
Times in my mailbox, I have to change it back to none when I go back
to it after being in shell or in the VM summary mode.

It's a small price to pay for a fantastic program!  That's not to say
that it isn't inconvenient, mildly iritating, and sometimes
exasperating.  However, since it doesn't lock up, crash, tell me the
program has performed an illegal operation... I guess I can live with
it.  However, if the powers that be are going to write down things to
be put better in Emacspeak 14, this would be on the top of my list.  I
would like the punctuation to behave in a consistent manner by staying
the same globally except in dired or maybe w3.  I would like it to
switch back to the global setting when a "normal" buffer is visited,
please.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons