Re: Patch: Allow Emacspeak to work with 8-bit characters

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001  "T. V. Raman" <raman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suggest you spend some time running emacspeak under
> multibyte emacs,

I'm not a user of Emacspeak, I interested in it partially as an
interesting Emacs extension, partially just in case I will have a
blind student some time in the future.

As for Milan's patch, I think it should be made really backward
compatible. In other words, the following code

+ (defvar emacspeak-unibyte-p (string= (downcase current-language-environment)
+ 				     "english")
+   "If non-nil, Emacspeak will use unibyte mode.
+ It also won't send non-ASCII characters to the speach device directly.")

should be replaced simply by

(defvar emacspeak-unibyte-p t)

because not every non-English language environment requires the
multibyte mode. At the moment there is only one example of such an
environment, namely ASCII, but in the future there may be more of
them, e.g Italian or Swahili :-)

Best regards

Janusz

--