Doubletalk server in emacspeak-ss0.7

I cannot get this server to work.  It is in
'/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/', as directed.  In my
'/etc/profile', I have the line:

export DTK_PROGRAM=doubletalk.  When I start emacspeak, the server cannot
run, and I get the "process speaker not running" message.

This is the case for versions of emacspeak version 12 and later.  In all
cases, I use the emacspeak,  Redhat package.  Whether I use the Redhat
package or the tarbal for the servers, I get the error.  The braillenspeak
server works as advertised.

Any ideas?

-Dave

Current emacs version:  21.1;