Re: Viavoice on Debian?

In general, you can install whatever libraries you need, and they will
not conflict.  The loader loads the version asked for by the program
it is loading.  libc may be a special case.  You can certainly have
libc5 and libc6 installed at the same time.  (I do - and libc4, as
well.)  I believe the changes to libc6 were all supposed to be upward
compatible, but I'm not sure they really were.

You can use ldd to display the shared libraries needed for a given
program.  For example, this program needs three of them:

  $ ldd PCx
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40021000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40043000)

The first part of each line is the name of the needed library.  The