Re: problem

Igor Gueths writes:
 > Hi. I exported all four of the variables in the last message, and got the
 > following series of messages:
 >
 > 	Set port to /dev/ttyS0
 > Error: stty: Standard input: Standard input/output error

It appears that the server can't access the serial port at /dev/ttyS0.
The most likely reason for this is that the permissions on the
/dev/ttyS0 device are set incorrectly. Make sure your have write
permission on /dev/ttyS0. For example, on my Debian Linux system:
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 May  5 19:31 /dev/ttyS0

I (user jason in my case) am a member of the group dialout.

chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0 would work, but for security reasons I would
suggest a slightly more cautious solution, such as allowing write
access to members of a particular group, then adding your user id to
that group. This can be achieved by editing the /etc/group file. The
pertinent entry in my case reads:
dialout:x:20:jason

To check whether permissions are indeed the problem, try running the
speech server as root.

qq