RE: espeakf experiences (was Re: Best advice for new user)

I think that eflite default configuration make the command "make install" put it
in /usr/local/bin.
I'll need to check again when re-installing, but I'm reading eflite-0.3.6.tar.gz/INSTALL now, and paragraph 5.1
says:

(start quote)
=== 5.1. Emacspeak:
- Set DTK_TCL to the location of your EFlite binary.  If you use
/usr/bin/emacspeak, then it may be easiest to place  a line similar to the
following into emacspeak.conf:
export DTK_TCL=/usr/local/bin/eflite

Alternatively, the following shell script should get Emacspeak running with
EFlite, although you may need to edit some path names:

#!/bin/sh

export EMACS_UNIBYTE=1
export DTK_TCL=/usr/local/bin/eflite
emacs -q -l /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el
# You may want to add "-l $HOME/.emacs" to the previous line
(end quote)

As I don't know where my emacspeak.conf is and the suggested shell script did not accept additional parameters
(like file name to open), I just changed the script you suggested in the "Best advice for new user" from:
export DTK_TCL=/usr/bin/eflite
into:
export DTK_TCL=/usr/local/bin/eflite

And everything worked fine.

>    I experienced a weird behavior: it wouldn't say words, letters, or
>    numbers, but it would say correctly characters like '/' (slash) and
>    '.' (dot)

Since the espeakf package dumps what its doing into /tmp/festival.log file,
maybe some test should be added in order to validate emacspeak+espeakf functionality and enable trouble shooting.
What I understand till now from the logfile, is that the festival server ready=0
instead of 1 some of the time, which might be the reason.

Barak.