GNU Emacs CVS change affects Emacspeak

This morning, I had trouble building Emacspeak from CVS using the
latest version of GNU Emacs from its CVS respository.  I have fixed
the bug temporarily in my own installation, but not in the Emacspeak
CVS respository.

This trouble is the result of a change this last weekend in the GNU
Emacs CVS snapshot.  The bug does not occur when you use older
versions of GNU Emacs.

Emacspeak failed to build because update-autoloads-from-directories
had become a void function.  update-autoloads-from-directories is a
function in GNU Emacs on which Emacspeak depends.

The GNU Emacs change will likely be permanent, so the Emacspeak
sources will need new code to handle the change.

I solved the problem temporarily by writing a load command and two
fset commands at the beginning of   emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-autoload.el

    (load "cl")
    (fset 'update-autoloads-from-directories 'update-directory-autoloads)
    (fset 'emacspeak-auto-generate-autoloads 'update-directory-autoloads)

This is not a good permanent change; it is a kludge.

I think the permanent change will be to rename the functions in
Emacspeak.  But my kludge works -- at least for me, this morning.

Indirectly, I caused this bug.  On Friday, I reported to the Emacs
developers that the documentation claims that the name in the
documentation is `update-directory-autoloads' but the defined function
name was `update-autoloads-from-directories'.  Emacspeak correctly
used the function name.

I made the report; because I don't know much about autoloading, and it
is so important, I did not make any change, lest I break Emacs.

Yesterday, RMS renamed update-autoloads-from-directories to
update-directory-autoloads, which does not hurt GNU Emacs, but does
hurt Emacspeak.  Hence the bug.

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@xxxxxxxxxxx