configuring View Mail

Hi,
This is a response to the letters by Hugh Esco who is trying to help his
visually challenged friend Adam to set up VM properly. I have tried
replying to him by pressing `r' (send reply) but such letters have
bounced; I presume that the mailer is giving a wrong email address. Here
is the content of the last letter I wrote (on Friday); I hope this might
help Hugh and Adam:

Hi Adam and Hugh,

I am a newbie at Emacspeak but have used VM for several years; setting
it up initially was troublesome.

There are two things I do quite differently:

1.  Getting/retrieving mail from my mailbox: this is customized through
    my .vm file which I have attached below. Change names, passwords as
    necessary.
2. Sending mail: I remember this gave me a _lot_ of trouble. This, in
    fact, has little to do with vm because most of the settings occur in
    the Mail group in Customizw. Here are the appropriate lines from my
    .emacs ftle:
(setq mail-user-agent 'vm-user-agent)
(setq toolbar-mail-reader 'vm)
(setq user-mail-address "kalyanm@xxxxxxxxxxx")
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtp-default-server "smtp.vsnl.net");;
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service "smtp")
(setq smtp-local-domain "nil")
(setq smtp-debug-info nil);
	       ;next 3 lines from the mail-lib ver 1.33
;;(load-library "smtpmail");;added on 10-11-2K
(setq smtpmail-code-conv-from nil)
(setq user-full-name "Kalyan Mukherjea")

I hope this solves the problem. I know it doesn't use fetchmail and
sendmail but this works for me. In case your mailbox uses the IMAP
protocol instead of POP3 then some changes will be necessary
in the .vm file --- see the
vm info file.

Hope  this helps.

Kalyan

Could not process part with Content-Type: emacs-lisp; NAME=.vm.