Need help getting dtk-soft working on Debian Woody system

Hello,

I have installed the DECTalk runtime for Linux from Fonix and built
the library in
"/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/software-dtk".  Also, I
have installed the pre-compiled binary of stdiosynth, found in the
"stdiom.tar.gz" tarball from the Blinux file archive into "/usr/bin".
When I try running
"/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/dtk-soft", I get a "no
such file" message regarding stdiosynth, and a "notes not initialized"
message from the server program, then, silence.  I am not returned to
the shell from which I called the server.  Incidentally, I know
the "say" program works.  Finally, I tried building my own binary of
stdiosynth, and got an error message "/usr/lib/oss/soundcard.h" not
found.

Two questions:

What is wrong with the pre-compiled binary of stdiosynth?  Even when
this binary is located on my path, the shell cannot find it.  Also:
Which Debian package(s) contain the header files for OSS?

Thanks,

-Dave

System:  Emacs-20.7.2;
Emacspeak 17;