From: "Janina Sajka" <janina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "emacspeak posting address" <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Getting Started

> It's not emacspeak that provides you the speech enabled installation,
> but rather the speakup screen reader.
>
> Fortunately, the cost of GPL licensed software insures you can afford to
> have everything you might possibly want or need, not just a few selected
> applications. And, emacspeak, speakup, etc., etc. (there are others)
> will coexist nicely.
>
> So, the HOWTO you want to start with is at the following URL:
>
> http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html
>
> Unfortunately, that site is down as I write this email, so I will send
> you this file separately.
>
> W. Nick Dotson writes:
> > I'm wanting to enter the Linux/emacspeak world.  Have been reading of
the evolution of this system for some time, but not being a programmer, have
felt
> > intimidated...  I went to archive site, searching on "getting started or
tutorial".  I could bring up questions in the list but couldn't figure out
what link to use for
> > continuing with posts on the question, tried "thread" "index" and other
stuff to no real avail and gave up...  Essentially, I feel like I'm in a
bowl of speghetti with
> > no since of direction as how to have a "here's how you get started"
"steps 1,2,3".

> > Is there a book/tutorial/manual?  I went to the download site, and was
confronted with files who's extensions I'm not familiar with, so didn't know
what to
> > download or guess how to open them?  From Main Menu on <acbradio.org> I
understood I could download an "image" filept it on a CD, run a boot floppy
with a
> > "batch file" and have a speech enabled installation of the Operating
System" but just can't seem to find the manual that says download this file,
burn it to CD