non-curses terminal emulator?

This may be unrealistic but is there a terminal emulator that is not curses
based? What I want to do is use a null-modem cable to connect my laptop to
another linux box running a getty on ttyS0.  Then just open a shell, login
and shut it down or restart the network services.

I do support for the Mat Dept here at the  U of Wisconsin and I'm always
going into people's offices help them with their computers. None of the
linux boxes speak except mine.

--
John G. Heim
jheim@xxxxxxxxxxx