Improving Dectalk Express responsiveness

What is the best firmware to be using with the Dectalk Express? I hear
there was a version 4.3, but I can't find it for the life of me. I'm
using 4.2CD, since I don't want to upgrade to 4.61 which sounds
terrible. As it stands, under Emacspeak 22.0, pressing a key, for
example up arrow, presents about a half-second lag while the dectalk
processes all the comands before the "beginning of buffer" is spoken.
same with the different voices in voice lock mode, weather it's enabled
or not. Is there anything I can do to speed this up a bit? I've used
speakup on a daily basis and it's not nearly this unresponsive.