Re: Error: Could not load libibmeci.so

"T. V. Raman" <raman@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> make sure ldconfig has set things up so your shared libs can be
> found. This is not an emacspeak or viavoice specific thing; do a man
> ldconfig to learn about shared libs.

Forgot about this one.  linking the lib to one of the directories used
by ldconfig did the trick for this problem.

I also copied the eci.ini file from the /var/opt subdirectory to the
linux-outloud directory as per instructions.

Now to the next problem.

I was able to go back and read the thread concerning this error message:

atcleci.cpp size_t alsa_configure Assertion `err >= 0' failed., returned
0 Items

and think I understand a little about what was said in the thread.  I
would assume that things should work for these reasons:

1.  I am running the current cvs version.  It seems that the problem was
    fixed according to the thread.

2.  I am using a Thinkpad T40, In the top of the .asoundrc file there is
    a line reading:

# I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4] (IBM Thinkpads)

and the output from aplay -v has this line:

Hardware PCM card 0 'Intel 82801DB-ICH4' device 0 subdevice 0

therefore, based on this, it should work.

In reading the thread, I did not understand much more than this.  I
understand that this error comes up if there are bad settings in the
.asoundrc file, but I don't really want to go mucking about in the file
if I do not know what I should be changing.

I ran the alsaparams program and got this back:

Card Parameters
          Alsa Library Version: 1.0.11
                 Access Method: RW_INTERLEAVED
                        Format: S16_LE
                      Channels: 1
                          Rate: 44100 bps
                   Period Time: 23219 us
                   Period Size: 1024 frames
                   Buffer Time: 92879 us
                   Buffer Size: 4096 frames
            Periods per Buffer: 4 frames
                    Exact Rate: 44100/1 bps
              Significant Bits: 16
                     Tick Time: 0
Card Capabilities
                Batch Transfer: No
                Block Transfer: Yes
              Double Buffering: No
              Half Duplex Only: No
          Joint Duplex Capable: No
   Support Overrange Detection: No
       Support Sample-res Mmap: No
                     Can Pause: No
                    Can Resume: Yes
            Support Sync Start: No

If there are parts of the alsa docs that outline what I need to change,
pointers are always welcome.  I read:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php?company=Generic&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=Generic

but it did not seem to help me to understand.

Thanks again for all the help,

rdc