Re: emacspeak-w3m-browse-rss-at-point

Hi Robert,

the problem is somewhat complicated. The function you have patched is
not used at all when you call
emacspeak.w3m-browse-rss-at-point. Still it is good to have fixed that
bug :).

The call chain is the following:

emacspeak-w3m-browse-rss-at-point
  emacspeak-rss-display
    emacspeak-w3-browse-xml-url-with-style (w3 not w3m)
      browse-url-of-buffer

The problem is that browse-url-of-buffer does not seem to work with
w3m. The problem is with the missing html file extension as you have described.

Thus, the correct thing to do would be to get  browse-url-of-buffer
or w3m fixed. For me, I have diverted the control flow from
emacspeak-rss-display to emacspeak-w3m-browse-xml-url-with-style (w3m
not w3 this time). This is not a good solution of course. Another idea
would be to change emacspeak-w3m-browse-rss-at-point as follows:

(defun emacspeak-w3m-browse-rss-at-point ()
  "Browses RSS url under point from w3m."
  (interactive)
  (unless (eq major-mode 'w3m-mode)
    (error "Not in a W3m buffer."))
  (let ((url (emacspeak-w3m-url-at-point)))
    (cond
     (url
      (emacspeak-auditory-icon 'select-object)
      (emacspeak-w3m-browse-xml-url-with-style
	   (expand-file-name "rss.xsl" emacspeak-xslt-directory)
	   url t))
     (t (error "No URL under point.")))))

Here, we call emacspeak-w3m-browse-xml-url-with-style directly so the
execution eventually ends up in the function we patched earlier.

Maybe, there is a setting in w3m by which it can be persuaded to open
any file as html. This would make it work, but would also only solve
the problem partially because the path through
emacspeak-w3-browse-xml-url-with-style still does some w3 specific
things (mainly installing hooks). This does not seem to hurt much but
is not nice.

Best regards, Lukas