Re: audio icons work everywhere except w3m.

"krishnakant Mane" <krmane@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> as I mentioned earlier, I am using the eflite versions that work with alsa.
> I knew this was the obvious question since as you rightly pointed out
> if the alsa version of eflite is not used, audio icons wont work.
> thanks to lucas, I started using the eflite version of alsa since long time.
> and I get the beep sound for the audio icons in directory editing mode
> when I enter into some directory.  specially when the directory
> listing is filled in the bufffer, I get the beep.
> further more I also get beep on blank lines.

We might be talking about two different things here.  As a very limited
experiment I tested auditory icons on blank lines in several buffers and
it was _not_ the case that there were auditory icons.  However, there is
a beep on blank lines that is not an auditory icon.  If you think you
might be hearing auditory icons on blank lines, tell me what mode the
buffer is in and I will check it out here and try to figure out why I am
not getting this functionality.

> I have now also solved the indentation problem.  now only problem
> remaining is with the w3m not beeping when page is loaded.  and
> talking about tts systems reporting strong text with raise of pitch,

This works only if the tts supports it.  flite does _not_ support this
feature.  You are limited to the one voice, as far as I can tell.  As
far as I know, there are _no_ free tts engines that support this
feature.

> is it possible just like indentation, that some message like "strong
> text " is spoken when a user presses some key like c-e m-f or some
> thing on some region of text?  for example if a particular line has
> some bold words, the user is not informed while non stop reading.  but
> if he moves his arrow on that bolded text, emacspeak responds "text is
> strongly typed".  or "text has emphesis?"  just an idea may be I am
> stupid.  but this is how I view it.

Currently, the only way to do this would be for you to, after every move
of point, to use C-e M-v and listen to the  personality at point.  As I
am sure that this will not be a workable solution, then no, it really is
not possible as things stand.  Since this question has been asked
before, in various iterations, and no one has stepped up to say that
they were interested in that feature I would assume that it is not
something in high demand.  If however, you are interested in writing
this feature, I am sure that Dr. Ramen  will happily look at your patch
and include it if he thinks it will be useful.

> any ways first let's get this w3m matter solved.  I will be doing a
> big seminar for emacspeak in india next week.  so need this help.
> thanking all.  Krishnakant.

Since you did not answer the questions I posed about versions, maybe you
should do that before we go any further.  Make sure you are using the
latest release versions  of emacs, emacspeak, and emacs-w3m.  Then let
us know what version numbers you have installed.  After you post this
information to the list, if the problem has not been solved by updating
we can proceed .

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

The time spent on any item of the agenda [of a finance committee] will be
in inverse proportion to the sum involved.
		-- C. N. Parkinson