Computer Science Dept Network
What is Linux?
Operating System ☺
- Unix 1969
- Late 1970's ⇒ early 1980's : Home PC
- Linus Torvalds - 1991
- Super Computers
- 309 - 27 Linux Clients
- Apsrey Lab - 24 Linux Clients
- The CS network is usable outside of Sanders Physics.
- www.cs.vassar.edu ⇒ resources
- SSH ⇒ (CLI)
- X2go ⇒ (GUI)
A little about security
CIS Technology Policy:
- access only files and data that you own (or have been given authorized access)
- be considerate of shared resources (disk space, printer paper, CPU time)
- Asprey lab Printer Policy : CompSci Homework / Research Only
- use/access another person’s files, data, user ID (without expressed permission)
- file share and P2P
- bypass system or network security
- make or use illegal copies of copyrighted software
- Username is same as Vassar email account
- CS and CIS/Google passwords are not the same
- The CS Network is not a part of the IAM Vassar Network !!
- Change passwords with passwd command
- Use numbers, special characters and mIXeD CasE
- Requirement of 16 chracters
- CaSe mAtTeRs!
- Spaces matter
Remember to log out when you are done with the system, (after class, lab, etc.)
If you need to just step away from the machine for a few minutes, there is a lock button.
(on Desktop) Start ⇒ System Tools ⇒ LXTerminal
change with passwd
- Changing the desktop
- Added to launch bar
- Default file permissions