Re: Emacs and Festival

For anyone who wants to check   for himself or herself, it is rather
easy with speechd-el, at least of you are on a Debian based
distribution. Just install the packages for festival, flite,
speech-dispatcher and speechd-el. To run emacs with speechd-el, I have
the following in my .emacs file:

;; speech dispatcher
(when (and (not (featurep 'emacspeak)) (getenv "SPEECHD"))
  (speechd-speak))

One can then start emacs with speechd-el with:

SPEECHD=1 emacs

One can switch between flite and festival simply by typing:

C-e d o module-name

Where module-name is either "flite" or "festival". I guess one could
also test espeak that way, or anything that is supported by speech-dispatcher.

On my 1Ghz machine wiht 512MB Ram, I still find festival a bit too
sluggish for efficient work, but I guess it is usable if no
alternative is available. I hope espeak will become a viable
alternative in the future especially for people who require languages
other than English.

Best regards, Lukas