Re: emacspeak-websearch-weather starts Galeon unless ...

Sorry to be sending this to the list... read on

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [[Did you ever receive this?  I did not receive the CC I sent to
> myself, so I wonder ... in any case, if this is a duplicate, please
> ignore.  Thanks.  This is my third attempt.  Here is the second
> message:]]

I did receive this message, this time is the second.  I am going to kill
and yank the response I sent to the previous mail.

Hello Robert,

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [Please put me on a white list.  An earlier message failed because

The tech support script reader at comcast, after much consulting with
her supervisors, said that you need to send email to:

blacklist_comcastnet@xxxxxxxxxxx

Saying that you want the blacklisted IP address removed from the
blacklist.  She said it will likely take a couple of hours but that it
will be done.

> On its own, emacspeak-websearch-weather succeeds in that it asks for
>
>     City,State or Zip:
>
> However, it does not provide me the weather after I type in the Zip
> code or the City and State.  This occurs both in X and in a console
> with no X.  In X, it starts Galeon!

Hmmm.  I am not sure what might be happening here.  I didn't change
anything about the function except to add the autoload line before the
defun.  Why should it open galeon?

> (Incidently, while I understand why you left out the space between the
> comma following the word `City' and the word `State', initially it
> looks like a minor typo.)

For future reference, can you tell me why it is that way?  I was under
the impression that would be a string and would just be passed
verbatim.

> However, emacspeak-websearch-weather succeeds more completely when I evaluate
>
>     (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-w3)
>
> but I cannot put that expression in my .emacs file, not even at the
> end.  I have to put it somewhere else.  I put it last in a shell
> script which starts emacspeak with the eflite software voice
> synthesizer and no .emacs file:
>
> Incidently, emacspeak-websearch-weather effort does not tell me the
> current temperature.  The word "Area" fails.  What appears in my
> source is:

I didn't like the functionality of it much either.  I was looking
through the info manual and saw it.  When I tried it out, I noticed it
was having the problem I listed in the other mail that it was not
showing up.  I think the problem with it now, as far as the information
it is returning, or lack thereof, is the page it fetches has probably
changed since the function was written.  I have been successful with the
weather function in the url-template package, though.

If this is something that I broke in some way, let me know and I will
try to fix it.

Thanks,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

The way to a man's stomach is through his esophagus.