Re: patches for emacspeak on gentoo linux

The segfault has nothing do with the dectalk.

As I said in my earlier note, the segfault happens if you invoke
the script as an executable.

I suspect there is some old lib around something that is causing
the problem on ubuntu 6; however I'm reluctant to  move things
forward right now because it will break things for a lot of
users.
If you have verified that it works on gentoo, I suggest you keep
that a gentoo specific patch for now, and we can revisit it a few
months from now.

    William> That's intresting.
    William>
    William> I ran your test here just now using the espeak
    William> server (I don't have a dectalk), and it worked fine
    William> and did not segfault.
    William>
    William> Thanks,
    William>
    William> William
    William>
    William> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 07:30:51PM -0700,
    William> T. V. Raman wrote:
    >>
    >> I had to undo the tcl8.4 patch because at least on ubuntu
    >> 6, 8.4 randomly segfaults.
    >>
    >> Curiously enough it segfaults if you invoke the tcl script
    >> as an executable.
    >>
    >> I've reverted that patch until we can find out more.
    >>
    >> To trigger the segfault on ubuntu -- invoke the dtk-exp
    >> script as an example:
    >>
    >> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/dtk-exp q foo
    >> q bar d
    >>
    >> The above triggers a segfault.
    >>
    >> invoking it as tcl <scriptname> does not trigger the same
    >> segfault.

    tvr> I've applied all 3 patches, thanks.
    tvr>
    tvr> Heads-up to all on the list: All speech servers now use
    tvr> tcl8.4 --- this change has been due for a while.
    tvr>
    tvr> This also means that if you're running something old
    tvr> like RedHat 7 then you're probably out of luck.
    tvr>
    William> Hello all, I am the maintainer for the emacspeak
    William> package on gentoo linux.  Recently, I was requested
    William> to make version 26 available.
    William>
    William> One of our users reported some issues to me with
    William> emacspeak 26, and I used his information to write
    William> patches against svn emacspeak.  I am attaching them
    William> to this message, and I would like comments, or if it
    William> is possible, could they be encorporated into the
    William> official source?
    William>
    William> The first patch (emacspeak-makefile.patch) fixes the
    William> makefile so that the directory servers/linux-espeak
    William> is included in the distribution.  The second patch
    William> (emacspeak-espeak-fix.patch) fixes a compile error
    William> in the tclespeak.cpp source file.  The third patch
    William> (emacspeak-tclx84.patch) converts the tcl scripts to
    William> tcl/tclx 8.4, which is what gentoo is using.
    William>
    William> Comments would be appreciated.
    William>
    William> Thanks much,
    William>
    William> -- William Hubbs gentoo accessibility team lead
    William> williamh@xxxxxxxxxxx
    tvr>
    tvr> -- Best Regards, --raman
    tvr>
    tvr>
    tvr> Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx WWW:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    tvr> tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx PGP:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    tvr> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs
    tvr>
    tvr> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tvr> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
    tvr> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
    tvr> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
    tvr> "unsubscribe" or "help"

    >> --
    >> Best Regards, --raman
    >>

    >> Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx WWW:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    >> tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx PGP:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    >> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

- --
William Hubbs gentoo accessibility team lead williamh@xxxxxxxxxxx
    William> (GNU/Linux)
    William>
    William> iD8DBQFGfeHRblQW9DDEZTgRAiiJAJkBvHLJAhDsD8eVe6bnuIsxH7vhGgCgpG4w
    William> ks4btOihEoowMUq1geE7XMs= =qEAD -----END PGP
    William> SIGNATURE-----

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx