emacspeak-26.0 on ubuntu

Hello,
I'm having trouble getting emacspeak to talk on ubuntu 7.04.
Using the orca interface, and after installing a couple of extra
packages, I've been able to run through the sequence of make config,
make emacspeak, and make install without errors.
I logon through orca, change to another console with control alt f-2 and
logon to what I assume is a text based console.  I invoke emacspeak
with:
Sudo emacspeak -e
I provide my password.
I get a beep at this point, but ce c-s s speaks to me saying espeak.  I
have very little of the wonderful functionality I was used to in
previous emacspeaks.  C-e c-l will read the current line, but in dired
when I move up and down with "n" and "p", I don't get any speech.
Is this an espeak problem?  Does this have something to do with the fact
that ubuntu's run levels are all gui enabled?
I'm working from a recent svn check out of emacspeak-26.
I'm apparently using version 21.4 of emacs.
Thanks for any help.
John

John J Morgan
Center For Languages, Cultures, and Regional studies
745 Brewerton Road
West Point, New York, 10996
Phone: 845-938-5329
Email: john.morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx