character issues in w3m

I have been emailing on the emacs-w3m list about this problem.  The
thread is here:

http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.w3m/thread=7055/force_load=t

In a nutshell, I have been having problems getting pages to load in w3.
Lots of "Bad Request" pages.  I finally got so irritated with a problem
I've been having with emacs-w3m that I decided to try to fix it.  On the
following page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/us/politics/30watch.html?ex=1348891200&en=02eb54b65d042599&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

The first sentence  at the top of the story shows like this in emacs-w3m:

Freedom?s Watch, a deep-pocketed conservative group led by two former
senior White House officials, made an audacious debut in late August
when it began a $15 million advertising campaign designed to maintain
Congressional support for President Bush?s troop increase in Iraq.

And in emacs/w3 it looks like this:

Freedomùs Watch, a deep-pocketed conservative group led by two former
senior White House officials, made an audacious debut in late August
when it began a $15 million advertising campaign designed to maintain
Congressional support for President Bushùs troop increase in Iraq.

Note the question mark in the w3m sentence.  For some reason the octal
characters are being rendered in w3m as question marks.  In w3, only the
octals are shown.

Is this a result of emacspeak needing unibyte?  For those using w3m,
have you solved this issue?  Is this an issue only for me, a problem
with my configuration?

As always, any help is appreciated,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

GOOD-NIGHT, everybody ... Now I have to go administer FIRST-AID to my
pet LEISURE SUIT!!