Re: Preliminary Unicode support patch, please test

Hi Lukas,

I applied your patch and it appears to be working correctly. thanks. I
applied it against the revision I retrieved from the repository today -
revision 5327. It is nice not to be hearing 'question mark' all the time.

One thing I was considering was if it would be useful to have all the
replacement text configurable by the user. Some of the english names for
some of the unicode characters are a bit long, for example 'katakana middle
dot' or 'Box drawings heavy horizontal' etc. The ability for the end user
to change the ones they want to change, might be useful. I guess we would
need to read the unicode data into an alist and make it customizable?

I did discover another interesting bit of odd behavior that Raman may be
interested in. I wanted to add some of the unicode drawing characters used
in web pages to represent lines, and table borders etc, to the
emacspeak-decoration-rule variable. My hope is that this would stop these
lines from being spoken when you listen to a web page.

I've previously attempted this and have got a rather 'odd' result when I
do. Instead of just that line no longer being spoken, lines above it and below
it are also no longer spoken, even when they have speakable text. As soon
as I remove the entry, the lines above and below are spoken again as would
be expected. With the character added to the regexp, even putting the
cursor on a line and executing emacpseak-speak-line does not work.

It is possible this is a problem with emacs regexps and unicode characters
or it could be some odd behavior in emacspeak, I'm not sure. I'm not even
sure if what I'm trying to do is the correct way to stop these lines from
being spoken. If Raman has any guidance/suggestions, they would be
appreciated. For example, I'm not sure what the relationship is between
emacspeak-horizontal-rule and emacspeak-decoration-rule. The characters in
the horizontal rule appear to be a subset of the characters in the
decoration rule and match line drawing type characters, but I'm not sure if
you need to put a line drawing character in both variables or just one or
if the variables have distinct roles etc.

Tim

Lukas Loehrer writes:
 > Robert D. Crawford writes ("Re: Preliminary Unicode support patch, please test"):
 > > > * Requires emacs 22
 > >
 > > I am using cvs emacs version:
 >
 > What I really wanted to say is that there is no support for emacs 21,
 > but this is sort of a mute point, because emacspeak has dropped
 > support for it anyway I think.
 > >
 > > > See the documentation of the variable describe-char-unicodedata-file.
 > >
 > > I did not immediately see this variable.  I had to grep in the emacs
 >
 > Sorry for that. it is in the module descr-text. Because I use
 > functions like describe-char often, which auto-loads the module, I did
 > not realize it is not pulled in by default.
 >
 > Best regards, Lukas

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.