dired completions

List,
Thanks to your help I've installed emacspeak 26 on ubuntu feisty with
espeak as the tts.
Most everything seems to be working fine except for completions in
dired.  For example, if I want to open my .bashrc file, I am used to
typing ".b" then I press the space bar and ".bashrc" appears in the mini
buffer.  Now when I press the space bar a blank space is inserted.
I'm running emacs 22.1.
Thanks,
John J Morgan
Center For Languages, Cultures, and Regional studies
745 Brewerton Road
West Point, New York, 10996
Phone: 845-938-5329
Email: john.morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx