From: Kalyan Mukherjea [mailto:kalyan.infinity@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 10 November 2007 06:44
To: Zachary Kline
Cc: emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Greetings and questions

Hi Zack,

As far as I know Aster was a system which rendered Math rendered in
LaTeX  into speech using a hardware speech synth. I read a web article
on this (written by one of the faculty members at Cornell where Raman
did his doctorate) and I think that some though not all of its features
have been incorporated into Emacspeak.

I seem to have the impression that Aster received a LaTeX file as input
and produced an audio output file.

I myself use Emacspeak all the time since I am a blind  and retired math
Professor. Using Emacspeak + AAucTeX I have written 300 page textbooks
of math and I am sure that
to satisfy your  professors at Korvallis   you need to only worry
about the mathematical aspects of what you are presenting. Emacspeak
(even with a software synth which does not accomodate voice locking) is
powerful enough to produce perfectly executed  LaTeX documents.
What I mean is that the LaTeXnique can  be perfect; the math could, of
cours, still be refutable!

If you wish to get further tips on how to customize Emacspeak for math
and my private cheat codes for tracking down and eliminating LaTeX
errors, write to me offlist since what I will have to say is not really
pertinent to Emacspeak.

Cheers.
Kalyan

Zachary Kline writes:

 > however I've also heard of ASSTR, which Mr. Raman developed for his
PHD.  > Is this integrated into Emacspeak at all?  Or is support for
MathML or